August is generally hot with the odd thunderstorm as the summer becomes sultry. This month is even more fun as the children are on their summer holidays. It’s a great time to get them involved with gardening as an activity.
Along with enjoying your garden and maybe having BBQ parties, plants will need watering often. If you’re going away on holiday, you can ask a friend or neighbour to help keep your garden healthy.
Here is what we are doing in the garden in August.
General garden maintenance
- Keep your garden watered particularly new plants and containers.
- Decorate your garden with novelty ornaments such as windmills or garden gnomes.
- Deadhead plants and perennials to encourage more blooms – unless collecting seed.
- Watch out for mildew and fungal diseases – remove infected leaves and leave room for air.
- Collect seed from your favourite plants to sow for next year.
- Enrich and nourish soil by feeding with manure.
- Harvest vegetables as they become ready.
- Trim hedges as they won’t grow as much now.
- Lift and pot up rooted strawberry runners
What to sow and grow this month
- Sow annual poppies and cornflowers.
- Final sowing stage of turnips, lettuces, spring onions, radishes and parsley in time for autumn.
- Last chance to plant strawberries in time for winter and to initiate flowering.
- Plant out cauliflowers early in the month for an Autumn harvest.
Dealz have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in August, why not check out the range from our Gardening section online.
Our customers love to share their gardening photos with us, if you have purchased a product from Dealz and are having a great success, share your story with us and we will print them on our social media and blog.