March Gardening Tips
Spring usually arrives at the end of March and the longer, warmer days bring opportunity for gardening tasks. We may have had some heavy snow and really wet conditions but you can still prepare for those warmer Spring and Summer days. Although it may still be showery, rainfall should be lower than the previous months.
This month will involve tidying up, planting and sowing. At Dealz we have a wide range of flower bulbs and seeds all from €1.50 available for you to choose from. Here is what we are doing in the garden in March.
General garden maintenance
- Use a fertiliser on soil as the showers and snow may have washed away the nutrients.
- If your soil is waterlogged after the snow and heavy rain, add multi-purpose compost to help absorb and store the excess water.
- Feed trees and shrubs with a slow release fertiliser.
- Remove weeds which have now come back into growth.
- Lift and divide overgrown perennials.
- Top dress containers and plant pots with fresh compost.
What to sow and grow this month
- Plant, onions and early potatoes in containers due to the wet ground this year.
- Feed roses with a rose fertiliser as they come into growth.
- Sow early beans and peas in seed trays of compost.
- Sow sweet peas indoors in pots.
- Sow salad crops in containers or pots for planting out later.
- Sow broad beans and peas, into compost filled containers.
Dealz have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in March, why not check out the range in-store? Click here to find your nearest Dealz.