June marks the beginning of the summer season and on the 21st we have the longest day of the year.
The extra sunlight and warm weather means a burst of growth but it also means that weeds will start appearing a lot more too. Regular hoeing and applying treatments when the weather is dry will keep them away.
With all this sunlight don’t forget to use solar lights to bring some free night time lighting into the garden.
Here is what we are doing in the garden in June.
General garden maintenance
- Hoe borders regularly to keep down weeds.
- Place hanging baskets outside.
- Keep your garden and plants moist – don’t wait for them to wilt before watering.
- Stake out any floppy plants.
- Prune spring flowering shrubs.
- Enjoy your garden with decorative ornaments and lighting.
- Mow the lawn once a week.
What to sow and grow this month
- Plant out summer bedding.
- Sow sunflowers and candytuft directly outdoors.
- Sow runner beans, French beans, beetroot, carrots, peas, spring onions and turnips.
- Harvest lettuce, radishes and potatoes.
- Plant out sprouting broccoli, cabbage, cauliflowers, leeks and celery.
- Pinch out side shoots on tomatoes to maintain the plant’s energy and healthy growth.
Dealz have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in June, why not check out the range in-store. Click here to find your nearest Dealz.