Happy New Year! Bulbs and seeds are on sale in Dealz; The new year signals a new gardening year, and we love to get out and about.
The weather is perfect to go and prepare your garden for the winter months (quick before it snows!), we have a number of products to help protect your garden from the cold morning frosts.
Here is what we are doing in the garden in January.
January Gardening Tips
General garden maintenance
- Start pruning dormant fruit, flowering and rose shrubs
- Use cloches and fleece to protect from the elements.
- Check perennials to see if the cold weather has pushed them up, push them back into the soil to protect the roots from any frosty weather to come
- Ensure your bulbs are properly mulched, if the tips are showing add further mulch to the soil
- Tidy your garden have a bonfire if allowed (watch out for hedgehogs)
- Remove dead leaves and compost to make leaf mould
- Mend repair and sterilize your tools, pots and anything you use around your plants
- If your making a raised bed for your vegetable gardening then now is a good time if conditions are right
- If you like a garden full of wildlife ensure the birds are fed and watered
Vegetables, fruit & herbs
- Buy your bulbs and seeds from Dealz as all the best ones go quickly!
- Sow broad beans, lettuce and early carrots under cover
- Sow onion seeds and early potatoes.
- Prune pear and apple trees, redcurrants, whitecurrants and blackberries try to do this on warmer days. Stone fruits can wait till summer to prune
- Plant soft fruit and fruit trees now, if the conditions are not suitable plant as soon as possible
- Grow parsley and chives indoors in cold areas
- Start sowing sweet peas and freesia’s in gentle heat
- Start strawberry plants under cloches.
Dealz have a great range of products to support your gardening activity in January, why not check out the range from our Gardening section online.
Our customers love to share their gardening photos with us, if you have purchased a product from Dealz and are having a great success, share your story with us and we will print them on our social media and blog.